Instructions for Submission
Supervised and sponsored by Chinese Academy of Sciences, Bulletin of Chinese Academy of Sciences (BCAS) is a think tank journal that focuses on strategy and decision-making research. Designated to be the “core media of the national science think tank”. BCAS mainly publishes the research reports by the academicians of Chinese Academy of Sciences and Chinese Academy of Engineering and scientists on major strategic issues in China’s science, technology, and economic and social development, and the reviews on the development status and trends of important frontiers and cross-discipline research. With the rich scientific accumulation and high sense of social responsibility of the fellow authors, BCAS is designated to provide scientific support for national macro-strategic decision-making, and to disseminate scientific thinking and scientific spirit to society and public widely and effectively. Aiming at “core media of the national science think tank”, articles of each column strive to be “strategical stand, national level, international perspective, and historical responsibility”. In recent years, the “Think Product” launched by BCAS has been recognized by the leaders of Chinese Academy of Sciences and praised by the scientific and technological community and has received instructions and attention from national leaders and relevant decision-makers. At the same time, more and more well-known strategic scientists worldwide have joined the author group.
Columns: Major Topics, Strategy & Policy Decision Research, Policy & Management Research, Consultation of Academic Divisions and Suggestion of Academicians, Scientific Focus, Disciplinary Development, S&T and Society, Think Tank Viewpoint, Think Tank Research, and so on.
Manuscripts require clear arguments, rigorous logic, clear hierarchies, reliable data, and fluent writing. Title, abstract, keywords and author introduction in both English and Chinese are required. Authors’ name and affiliations of other language than Chinese should be translated into Chinese in accordance with Chinese national standards with referring full text of original source. In addition to the above requirements, articles in Strategy & Policy Decision Research, Policy & Management Research, Discipline Development, S&T and Society, Achievements and Projects are required 200—300 words Chinese abstract, 600—800 words English abstract and references (please refer to files in Download). Please use the online submission system (https://www.manuscripts.com.cn/zgkxyyk) to submit a manuscript. Please do not submit the same manuscript in different journals at the same time. To expand the amount of information, short essays are advocated, figures and diagrams are welcome. Please leave your contact address, zip code, telephone, fax number or e-mail address. Once published, there are remuneration and 2 printed copies for the authors.
Please hold your manuscript, BCAS dose not reserve rejected manuscripts in the online submit system. Authors can submit their manuscripts in other journals when there are no updates for 3 months. BCAS publishes monthly and distributes worldwide. BCAS aims at science and technology practitioners, decision-makers at all levels of management, and audience who are concerned about the development of China’s science and technology industry.
Manuscript Preparation and Formatting
According to the state of “core media of the national science think tank” and the requirements of think tank journals, BCAS publishes the research reports by scientists and leaders on major strategic issues in China’s science, technology, and economic and social development, and the reviews on the development status and trends of important frontiers and cross-discipline research. BCAS promotes policy revolution and the development of science and technology, provides scientific support for national macro-strategies decision-making with the rich scientific accumulation.
Topic Selection Criteria
- Strategical Stand
Topics are supposed to choose from the perspective of the determined national development strategy, suggest the aspects of the national macro strategy adjustments, and discuss or propose the problems and countermeasures aiming at the national medium- and long-term strategy, highlighting the ideological, scientific, and strategic nature.
- National Level
Manuscripts should focus on analyzing key issues based on the whole nation, and comprehensively raise problems, analyze problems, and give solutions in various aspects such as science and technology, economy, and society. Manuscripts should avoid discussing short-term or regional problems which is lacking foresight. Otherwise, manuscripts must consider to some country’s urgent needs and emergency countermeasures and suggestions and integrate specific suggestions or projects with the country’s macro needs closely.
- International Perspective
Manuscripts should focus on international comparison, combine the Chinese issue with international experience, and show the international universality of the issue or the contribution and significance of China’s experience to the world.
- Historical Responsibility
Manuscripts generally have historical dimension analysis and comparison, and form opinions and suggestions and article conclusions from a high sense of historical responsibility.
BCAS operates a double-blind review process. All manuscripts must be double-blind reviewed with at least 2 reviewers. Reviewers conduct rigorous reviews from the following aspects: ① Manuscripts should be consistent with the recent strategic needs of the country, the needs of Chinese Academy of Sciences, and the common concerns of the scientific community; ② Manuscripts should reach a strategic height and has an international perspective at the national level with scientific, cutting-edge and policy value features; ③ The logic of the article frame structure, the text, etc; ④ Overall evaluation.
BCAS adopts the strict policy against academic misconduct. Manuscripts will be rejected directly if any form of plagiarism is found. Once the rate numbers of the duplicate checking are more than 15%, the handling of the submission should be terminated.
Logical Structure. Manuscripts should adhere to the problem orientation, organize the article according to the logical idea of proposing problems, analyzing problems, and countermeasures and suggestions.
Language Style. Manuscripts should be easy to understand, logical and rigorous, concise in structure, and reliable in data, and countermeasures and suggestions in the manuscripts should be clear and specific and have strong operability.
Formatting Details. Please refer to the “Manuscript Template” in the Download, and the recently published articles of BCAS.
Titles should be short and direct to their point or conclusion. Titles should be accurate and contain the necessary information that is relevant to the topic, arise the reader’s interests, and easy to search. The title should avoid using large and empty words, rare words, symbols, formulas, and abbreviations. Titles should generally do not exceed 24 Chinese characters and 20 words in English without using punctuation as much as possible.
Author and Affiliation. Each author should contribute to the work of the manuscript and be responsible for the manuscript and data. The signatory must be the actual affiliation of completion of the study. the first author or (if any) the corresponding author should ensure that all authors agree to sign, agree to the ranking, and ensure the scientific nature of the article, strictly follow the principle of academic integrity. (For other authorship questions, please refer to Integrity Reminder on Common Problems or Errors in Academic Paper Authorship)
Abstract. It should reflect the main ideas of the manuscript, clarify the purpose, methodology, results, and conclusions of the research, and be able to present the whole manuscript without affecting understanding. It should avoid overly specialized vocabulary, special symbols, and formulas. References are not recommended in the abstract.
Keywords. To support searching articles, keywords should be closely related to the topic of the article, and use the standardized words, generally 3 to 8 keywords.
Fundings. Manuscripts should list all the fundings with approval numbers. The format of fundings as following: Project Name (Approval Number), such as National Natural Science Foundation of China (********, ********, ********), National High-tech Research and Development Program (********), National Key Basic Research and Development Program (********). The full name of the fund should be written, but the specific name of the project is not required.
Main Body. It generally includes introduction, main text, conclusion and discussion, references, etc. It is recommended to start with a short introduction to describe the importance of the study. Keep the writing concise and easy to understand, avoiding excessive use of mathematical models, mathematical derivations, or overly obscure jargon.
- Introduction. Manuscripts should briefly review the history and status of related scientific issues, and background. Manuscripts should clearly give the purpose, the innovation points, and the problems with a briefly introduction of the methods and technical means and so on. This section is untitled and does not have to describe the structure of the manuscript which should avoid similarities with the title and abstract.
- Results and Discussion. Policy recommendations should be put forward concisely. The scientific and operable features of suggested policies should be briefly analyzed.
- Conclusion and Perspective. Predict possible developments and scenarios, etc.
- References. The sequential coding system is used for footnote and post-text bibliography, that is, numbered in the order of citation in the text, enclosed in square brackets, and placed in the upper right corner at the end of the author, citation or narrative text mentioned in the text. Chinese references should be translated into English in another separate line. For more details, please check the Reference Template in Download.
About the Author. Manuscripts should list the introductions of the first author and corresponding author in both Chinese and English (within 100 Chinese characters) and attach an e-mail. The brief introduction includes current affiliation, position, title, research directions.
(1) Words Count. The main text should ideally not exceed 6,000 characters. Please do not repeat the same context of figures, tables and so on in the main text.
(2) English Requirements. The English abstract should be accurate, complete, concise, and concisely summarize the main findings and conclusions of the manuscript. To facilitate the international dissemination of articles, the English abstract of BCAS requires a detailed summary, generally about 600—800 English words. The title, author names (Hanyu Pinyin, where the surname is capitalized in all letters and the first letter of the first name is capitalized only, such as ZHANG Sanfeng), affiliation, abstract, keywords should be translated into English, that is consistent with the Chinese.
(3) Section Number. The first-level heading is presented as “1” in an exclusive line without any punctuation at the end. The second-level heading is presented as “1.1”, in an exclusive line without any punctuation at the end. The third-level heading is presented as “1.1.1” in an exclusive line without any punctuation at the end. The fourth-level headings are presented as “(1)”, and do not occupy exclusive lines with a punctuation at the end.
(4) Table. Use a three-line table with questions listed in both Chinese and English with clearly units of data.
(5) Figure. It is necessary to provide the corresponding information directly in the main text and provide (in Chinese and English) figure titles and captions below the figure. It is also required to upload high-resolution (300 dpi or above) JPG or other format images (single shot) as attachments separately. The curve chart should provide Chinese coordinate names and units, and the center line should be accurate and smooth. The explanation text inside the graph should be as concise as possible. The Chinese headings and units of the picture titles and coordinates should be provided.
(6) Terminology. Use full spelling form but not abbreviated form at the first time, which should include the context of definitions, symbols, abbreviations, or acronyms.
(8) Translated names of foreign academic terms, names of foreign organizations, etc. Use a general translated name. If new terms have not yet been identified and translated by the author, the original text should be indicated when they first appear in the text.
(9) Unit. Use the legal unit of measurement symbol (national standard).
BCAS is an open access (OA) journal. Chinese printed version is publicly distributed worldwide. Both Chinese and English electronic versions are publicly released on the official websites of BCAS. Authors can submit the translated English manuscript within 1 month after the finalization of the Chinese manuscript to enhance the international impact of the research results. The full text of the English manuscript will be publicly released at home and abroad on BCAS English official website (https://bulletinofcas.researchcommons.org/journal), and downloaded free of charge. BCAS English official website is built and operated by Elsevier, the world’s largest science and technology publishing institution, and promoted on its DC platform. In 8 months of its launch (April 13-December 13, 2021), 420 institutions from 100 countries have downloaded BCAS articles for 8,361 times, which was showing a wide impact on overseas business, education, government, academic associations, and other institutions. Authors are sincerely invited to provide the English version of their published manuscripts in BCAS.
BCAS recognizes the importance of the suggestions and comments on publications from the authors themselves and audience. We believe that post-publication commentary is necessary to advance scientific communication and discourse. If there is any evidence to prove that a certain publication in BCAS has an important error or misconduct, BCAS would consider publishing corrigendum or erratum or acting of retraction, it would usually lead to the publication of statement on BCAS website and the original article as well. Please contact for these scenarios.
BCAS would consider retracting a publication if:
- A plagiarism is identified.
- Multiple submissions are confirmed.
- Supporting data and source cited in the publications are not authorized for use.
- Ethics issues of human/animal subjects are raised.
- Authorship and competing interests are not in agreement.
- Copyright has been infringed or there is some other serious legal issue.
- Fundamental errors in publications are discovered.
- A compromised or manipulated peer review process are found, including editorial board members, editors, reviewers, and so on.
Article Processing Charge
To provide the service of Open Access (OA), BCAS has set rules of the open access fee which is also known as an Article Processing Charge (APC). When an article is accepted for publication, the author/s, funder/s, or institution/s pay an APC. More detailly, the APC is priced CNY 600 for each page, and the printed version of articles is used to count the page numbers (e.g., 10 pages in a certain article, APC is CNY 6000 in total.).
It is possible to waive APC partially or totally according to the journal’s policy and the application from authors. If the author applies for an APC reduction, a formal application letter is required. The reason (such as no relevant financial support) and the desired reduction percentage (such as 100% or others) should be clearly stated in the letter with signatures of all authors. Please send the scanned electronic version to , and wait for the reply.
There is no fee for unaccepted manuscripts. Then, the final version of articles is free to everyone to read.
Detection of Academic Misconduct
BCAS adopts the strict policy against academic misconduct. Manuscripts will be rejected directly if any form of plagiarism is found. Specifically, submissions are preliminarily found the academic misconduct through CNKI and Wanfang plagiarism checking systems. Once the rate numbers of the duplicate checking are more than 15%, the handling of the submission should be terminated.
1-2024 Version of BCAS Manuscript Template
2- BCAS Anti-Fraud Statement
3-2023 Version of BCAS Notification on Submission and Publication for Authors—Copyright Transfer Agreement
4-2023 Version of BCAS Reference Template
Please refer files in Download in the official websites of BCAS