About This Journal
Supervised and sponsored by the Chinese Academy of Sciences, and distributed worldwide, Bulletin of Chinese Academy of Sciences is a think tank journal that focuses on strategy and decision-making research. Designated to be the "core media of the national science think tank", the journal is the key media platform for the national high-end think tank of the Chinese Academy of Sciences.
The journal mainly publishes the research reports by the academicians of Chinese Academy of Sciences and Chinese Academy of Engineering and scientists on major strategic issues in China's science, technology, and economic and social development, and the reviews on the development status and trends of important frontiers and cross-discipline researches. With the rich scientific accumulation and high sense of social responsibility of the fellow authors, the journal is designated to provide scientific support for national macro-strategic decision-making, and to disseminate scientific thinking and scientific spirit to society and public widely and effectively.
3. Scopes and Columns
Aiming at "core media of the national science think tank", articles of each column strive to be “strategical stand, national level, international perspective, and historical responsibility".
Columns：Editorial, Major Topics, Strategy & Policy Decision Research, Policy & Management Research, S&T and Society, Think Tank Viewpoint, Young Scientists & Pioneer Thinkings, and so on.
4. Development Mode
Five in One Mode, and the Five is listed as:
- Hard Copy: Guided by major special topics planning, combined with permanent columns, it serves the development of science and technology and supports the country's economic and social development.
- Forum: With the "Strategy and Decision-making High-level Forum" hosted by the Chinese Academy of Sciences as the core, hold open or closed forums of various forms and scales.
- New Media: Focus on WeChat and use the Internet as a link to integrate multimedia communication channels. At present, the annual read of WeChat high-end users exceeds 500 000, and the read of electronic journals exceeds 300,000 per issue.
- Internal Report: Report the strategic thinking of scientists to relevant decision-makers through multiple channels.
- Research and Consultation: The editorial team of the journal is entrusted to organize strategic scientists and experts in related fields to carry out research and consultation activities for enterprises, localities, and related institutions.
In recent years, the "Think Product" launched by the journal has been recognized by the leaders of the Chinese Academy of Sciences and praised by the scientific and technological community, and have received instructions and attention from national leaders and relevant decision-makers. At the same time, more and more well-known strategic scientists worldwide have joined the author group. The journal has become an important communication platform in the field of China's science and technology and development strategy research.
Multiple articles are reprinted by important newspapers and periodicals such as "Xinhua Digest" each year, and the jointly recommendation of "Top Ten Scientific Advances in China" with related journals is widely recognized by the scientific and technological community.
According to the statistics of CNKI, recently, the journal’s comprehensive impact factor ranks top 3 steadily among 430 comprehensive journals in China, its authority of think tank media is well recognized by society and the scientific and technological community.
6. Indexation and Award
It is indexed as core journal by Chinese Science Citation Database (CSCD) of Chinese Academy of Sciences, Chinese Science and Technology Paper and Citation Database (CSTPCD) of Ministry of Science and Technology, Chinese Humanities and Social Science Citation Database (CHSSCD) of Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, A Guide of the Core Journal of China of Peking University, and Scopus.
In 2017, the journal won the third "National Top 100 Newspapers and Journals". In 2018, the special issue “S&T Boosts the Belt and Road Initiative”, published in 2017, was selected as "Good Articles on Periodical for Theme Publicity" under the guidance of the Publicity Department. In 2022, the journal won the “Chinese Government Award for Publishing”.
7. History and Future Vision
- Journal of the Chinese Academy of Sciences (1986—2005): Communicate within the Chinese Academy of Sciences and externally with other ministries or institutions.
- Exploration Stage of Think Tank Media (2005—2016): Core media of the national science think tank
- Think Tank Platform Construction (2017—): Diversified communication platform for national high-end Science and technology think tank.
To be an important bridge to communicate within the scientific and technological community and between the community and relevant decision-makers, be the most influential platform for China's science and technology affairs, and play its due role as a think tank platform in promoting the construction of a world scientific and technological power.
8. Article Processing Charge
To provide the service of Open Access (OA), Bulletin of the Chinese Academy of Sciences has set rules of the open access fee which is also known as an Article Processing Charge (APC). When an article is accepted for publication, the author/s, funder/s or institution/s pay an APC. More detailly, the APC is priced CNY 600 for each page, and the printed version of articles is used to count the page numbers (e.g. 10 pages in a certain article, APC is CNY 6000 in total.). Then, the final version of articles is free to everyone to read.
9. Detection of Academic Misconduct
The journal adopts the strict policy against academic misconduct. Manuscripts will be rejected directly if any form of plagiarism is found. Specifically, submissions are preliminarily found the academic misconduct through CNKI AMLC systems (https://check.cnki.net/amlc/Login.aspx). Once the rate numbers of the duplicate checking are more than 20%, the handling of the submission should be terminated.